Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Day ≠ National Grilling Day (or Death: the Great Equalizer)


Those of you who know me well probably understand that I wasn't overly enthusiastic about my time in service. Mentally it wore me down, and I view it as somewhat of a failure. Though in retrospect, I wished I had been able to remain stronger and make more of my time in service.

Acknowledging that, however, I have nothing but respect for any man or woman that lifts their hand to take the oath of enlistment, binding them to military service for an agreed on number of years. These service men and women offer up their lives, whether fate sees fit to take them up on that offer is another story. Not that it matters what kind of person they are in my mind; they put their lives on the line for a cause that is not their own. Perhaps they're driven by motivations of the GI Bill or family legacy or maybe it's just a last ditch effort to feel as if they're on the road to somewhere.

Regarding a conversation (of sorts) with a friend this Friday afternoon, I had to walk away from it because of some of things he said. He vented some of his frustrations with several things, the military being one of them. Agreeing with several of his statements and disagreeing with several others, I was very alarmed at a comment he made concerning veterans, both living and dead.

Largely a copying and pasting of the conversation, I won't say his real name, and I'll only begin it with his final statement:

My Friend:
"So I'm sure you think I'm a piece of shit now?"

Me:
 "No, I don't think you're a piece of shit at all. I do, however, take issue with your opinions and statements concerning veterans. Even the soldiers with whom I hated serving deserve an ounce of respect. Why? Because they raised their hand in an act that very well could mean their death. Maybe the reason for joining was shitty even, but the still joined. It's not easy to offer your life and a majority of your legal freedoms to another organization.

Even regarding the soldiers whose minds were warped enough to think the wars were just I pity even more. I pity them because only in death can they possibly see the error of their ways/thoughts.

Regarding death (and bodies and graves): Death is the great equalizer. Osama Bin Laden (may his memory be erased) is likely reaping the results of the misery he has sown. Who knows, maybe he has even had a change of heart and now regrets so many of the actions he has taken in life. Like Jacob Marley in "A Christmas Carol" expressed, Osama Bin Laden wears "the chain" he forged in his life. Link by link, he left behind a legacy that will forever eclipse any good he may have done. 

That being said, I don't view disrespecting the bodies or graves of even the enemies something to be of the civilized world. Without condoning or condemning, I can somewhat understand those actions, but not agree in any way that they're positive in the least."
Often I like to take a moment to express my appreciation and admiration for our men and women in uniform. To them I offer these words:

God Bless you and keep you safe. May you come home as heroes to your family and community, but most importantly may you just come home. May you reach an understanding similar to my own, but even if you don't, please shake another veteran's hands and let them know that they're appreciated. Whether you be a fighter on land, air or sea, you have my love and respect. My greatest sorrow is that you'll never be on the receiving end of such words, that you'll forever be the one "who gave all."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment