Monday, June 11, 2012

Disconnecting Myself


It's not the Matrix that has us...









The Matrix could serve as a large source of allegory upon which to draw for this blog. Indeed the pic above is double entendre* to the motivating thoughts behind the movement of my chubby lil' digits, two major lines of thought specifically. The first, is centered on the notion that we, the masses, are far too dependent on technology for our own good. Addicted might be an even better word. The second thought is more of a sub-thought rather than a stand alone idea. As I highlight just how I'll sever my connectedness, I'll even seek to make small changes that will benefit Mother Earth.

*Before I move on, if you read entendre as "en-ten-dray," please leave this blog. Granted, I won't know if you did or not, but this is an honor system approach. Were I to hear you say it aloud, I'd single you out and make fun of you...at great length.  

Wishing to avoid becoming too verbose, I'll just get right to it and tell you my ideas/plans. 

Starting tomorrow, Tuesday, I plan to initiate what I call Tech Free Tuesdays & Thursdays. During these days I'll do my best to avoid using any sort of technology. No video games, no cell phones, no iPods, no computer (beyond job searches), and no television. There are other items that I'm sure would very much fit in the category of tech-that-ought-not-be-used, but I can't remember or am on the fence with cutting them out. My Amazon Kindle, for example, is up in the air. It's not so fancy a Kindle that I can check emails or surf the web. All I can do on it is read.

In line with not completely cutting out my Kindle, there are some other objects that I wonder about. Radios for example? It's tech, but music isn't really a bad thing. Which leads to my iPod, which I use most frequently to listen to music, but also has other applications. An older iPod (classic) might be used, which has the sole function of music, but now I feel like I'm wheeling and dealing and trying to beat the system I haven't finished creating.

Tomorrow I'll likely wing it, and attempt a more strict observance of my idea. In what I'd like to involve some friends is the interpretation of what is permissible tech and what is not. Should I go strict Amish lifestyle or are there cases, like my Kindle, that could be bent. Remember, my goal is largely two fold: I want to disconnect myself and not feel anchored to technology for a couple days a week; I also want to feel as if my efforts are somewhat green and have a positive, albeit small, impact on the environment. Offering advice, however, focus more on the first point of what is permissible tech and what is not.

Items for Consideration
  • Laptop 'Puter
  • Televisions and associated devices
  • iPod
  • Cell Phone
  • Kindle e-Reader
  • Radios
  • Share other items on your melons


No comments:

Post a Comment