Monday, May 21, 2012

An Arby's Haiku 4 You!

Hungry for Arby's,
Not as large as I expected, but significant, to be sure.
Scared of eating finger,
Taco Bell Instead?

Expanding my knowledge base of the what is the Arby's Finger scandal of 2012, I read on twitter some news concerning the latest developments of the investigation into the incident. There's an estimated 3-4 sandwiches made prior to the worker reporting their finger being cut on the slicer. Having briefly worked at an Arby's, I can testify to the sandwich station being an extremely fast paced area of the store, but it's unreal to me that it would have gone unnoticed that blood and a chunk of finger were now in the meat.


While I'm not overly concerned, and I'm certain I'm not alone in that my appetite for Arby's is, at the moment, significantly diminished, I'm actually more forgiving than my general attitude might convey. Yes, it's a gross lack of attention to detail and professionalism that has allowed this incidence to occur. Yes, it's unfortunate that this young teen is probably going to think about that finger for some time, though possibly this might make him more aware of his food from now on. It's also unfortunate that Arby's is likely going to face some serious scrutiny from many a direction, some unjustified in my opinion.

Brings me to my point of today's mini-rant: my father, in response to mentioning the number of elapsed sandwiches, related to me that the mother of the *victimized* youth is considering legal action and is speaking with legal counsel; I drew attention to the word victimized for a reason.

You've likely seen this youth, in a photo, if you've followed the story with even a mild amount of interest. He appears to be an average looking youngster, as much as I can gather from a simple photo, and I certainly see no indication that he's a deviant child in any shape or form. His smirking in the photo suggests to me, assuming the photo was taken post incident, that he's in relatively good spirits in the wake of his brush with all to real finger food. Even his comments, though this could be media influenced, seem to mild mannered and not of a person that is particularly distraught in any way.

Why then, and on what grounds, is the mother seeking to sue? If in fact she is intending to sue, whom will she sue? On what grounds is something what's on my mind. Remembering my attention to the word victimized, I can't see how he was victimized. It certainly wasn't an intended action against him, and it's unlikely that he's contracted any sickness or disease from this small piece of flesh, something which a couple medical experts have already testified as being extremely unlikely that anything harmful was transmitted from such a small piece of flesh.

Might the mother argue the health infectious angle, that he might have been infected by something? Perhaps an emotional or mental angle? Claim he hasn't been able to eat or sleep since the incident? Something else entirely? My limited mind, especially limited in the realm of legal knowledge, can't conceive of a way that the case could hold any validity. Arby's has to answer for this occurrence, but are they answerable to this woman and her son, at least in a legal sense? As a display of good form, I think Arby's would benefit from making amends by way of a small sum of money or something to recompense the boy for his troubles.

Of course, the variable I haven't yet fully acknowledged is the legal counsel. In ways that I can't fathom, I'm sure the lawyer with whom she's in contact is able to contrive a reason that will stand on some solid ground. Crooked bastards....

For the remainder of the day, I'll continue to apply for employment at places I view as beneath me, await acceptance from an institution of higher learning, and possibly even read a little bit. All the while feeling very much like a deformed being with my swollen face caused by a sinus infection. Maybe in a few days I'll write more about myself and/or important. In fact, I sort of want to address television and other distractions to human creativity, things that take us away from realizing our own potentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment